The Blériot XI was designed and built by Louis Blériot of France in 1909.
In this aircraft, Blériot became the first man to successfully fly across the English Channel.
Another important "first" was the 1910 flight over the City of Montreal by Count Jacques de Lesseps in his Blériot XI christened “Le Scarabée”.
This epic flight was the first over a Canadian city. Members of the Montreal Aviation Museum are currently building a full-scale reproduction of the Blériot XI from an original set of plans.
This aircraft has done her first flight in August 2014.
Read more: Blériot XI Scarabée (1909)
Built by Fairchil-Canada, the Bristol Bolingbroke was a maritime patrol aircraft used by the Royal Canadian Air Force during the second wold war. It was a variant of the Bristol Blenheim Mk IV.
This was an important aircraft for Quebec’s aviation manufacturing industry as it was one of the first all metal, stressed skin aircraft manufactured in Canada, and required development of new skills by the local workforce.
Read more: Bristol Bolingbroke Mk IV (1942)
The Curtiss-Reid Aircraft Co Ltd was formed in December 1928 when the New York based Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company took a controlling interest in the Reid Aircraft Company of Montreal. The Canadian company had itself only been set up in February of that year by former Canadian Vickers designers William T Reid and MJ Berlyn. Together, they designed a two-seat sesquiplane as a club trainer, private tourer and light transport aircraft. This aircraft first flew at Cartierville (Montreal) on September 23rd 1928 piloted by Martin Berlyn and was named the Reid Rambler at a demonstration ceremony on September 29th.
Read more: Curtiss-Reid Rambler (1928)
The Fairchild FC-2 was a pioneer "bush plane", quite advanced for its time, featuring an enclosed, heated cabin, folding wings and adaptable to wheels, floats or skis. Canadian Vickers of Montreal built twelve of these aircraft under license from the Fairchild Aviation Corporation out of the USA.
Piloted by the famous Quebec aviator Romeo Vachon, the FC-2 was also involved in some of the first airmail deliveries and was used extensively as a photo survey aircraft.
Now fully restored and on display, the MAM’s FC-2 carries the registration G-CAIH, originally owned by Fairchild Aircraft Ltd. of Montreal and operated out of Grand-Mère, Quebec.
Read more: Fairchild FC-2 Razorback (1927)
This all-Canadian aircraft was designed and built by J.O. Noury of Stoney Creek, Ontario in 1939 as a utility and training aircraft.
After building three examples, sales were unfortunately not forthcoming and with the outbreak of WWII, Noury ended up selling his design to the Fleet Aircraft Company in Fort Erie. Production on the Fleet Model 80 Canuck lasted until 1947 with 225 being built. Noury went on to become an important designer at Noorduyn Aircraft Ltd of Montreal, Quebec, the company that designed and built the famous Norseman bush plane.
The original aircraft in these markings was piloted by Hubert M. Pasmore, father of our founder; Godfrey Pasmore.
Read more: Fleet Canuck (1947)